Escargot might not be everyone's cup of tea, but they should be! French land snails are one of the most exquisite dishes on earth. Here's what you should know about them.
1. Archeologists have found land snail shells in caves, proving that we've been eating them for thousands of years.
2. We eat around one billion snails every year. Slow food must really be trending right now.
3. Don't rush; not all land snails are edible! And even the ones that are edible can carry parasites. Be safe and enjoy only farm-raised snails.
4. Although lots of butter, garlic, and parsley make escargots a delicious bite, you can enjoy them without dealing with their mushy consistency. They are deliciously prepared as fried finger food too! (That's how they like their snails in Greece.)
5. Snails don't only move slowly; they cook slowly. It can take several hours to soften their rubbery meat.
6. Snails have to be "purged" before being eaten. Cornmeal is a common fattening last meal, but you can feed them all kinds of colorful vegetables, including carrots. These will ensure the snails are clean of impurities and other off-putting concerns.
Are you ready to try some snails?