Subscribe
Sign up to our monthly e-mail about the latest and greatest places for food, wine art and history
Cartoonists of the Gilded Age
& why it made the Carpe City list
The Puck Building originated in 1885-1886; however, the present-day building is a result of three stages of construction, all supervised by architect Albert Wagner. The style is an adaptation of “Romanesque Revival,” which reached popularity in the 1880s. Wagner’s version also reflected the round-arched German “Rundbogenstil” style. The Puck Building, occupying the entire block bounded by East Houston, Lafayette, Mulberry, and Jersey Streets, remains one of lower Manhattan’s most striking 19th Century industrial buildings.
The Puck Building was home to the satirical “Puck” magazine from 1876-1918, founded through the partnership of Joseph Keppler and Adolph Schwarzmann. Keppler had talents for both acting and drawing and was considered one of the best American caricaturists of the late 19th Century. His creativity and editorial vision, coupled with Schwarzmann’s financial and business support, spurred their German & English language magazine editions to their eventual success.
“Puck” magazine’s success predominantly stemmed from its quality drawings, multiple cartoons, and advanced printing processes. “Puck” magazine pioneered the use of chromolithography for its artwork, moving from black & white to multicolor. The J. Ottman Lithographic Company, also housed in the Puck Building and experts in their industry, handled the printing of all Puck’s lithographs.
Sign up to our monthly e-mail about the latest and greatest places for food, wine art and history